GOOD: After my first exploratory call for a local (10 minutes away, to a storage unit) move (partial household, gun safe, office furniture and big workshop tools), the sales force was relentless in making me feel special, calling me every other day so they could schedule their “best crew” just for me, and promising to be with me “every step of the way”. The 3-man crew showed up on time and performed satisfactorily, though it was an awkward situation when they started talking about their tips before they even started working.

This crew worked hard, took reasonable care, used runners on the floor, acted responsibly and conscientiously, and was polite. I have no complaints about the crew’s work. BAD: Once I gave All My Sons Moving & Storage the $100 deposit, I didn’t hear from them again. They said they would call me two or three days before the move to work out details; but I had to call them one day before.

If I hadn’t called them less than 24 hours before the moving time, no telling when I would have heard from them. I was assured in advance that 4 movers would be there, for maximum speed and efficiency. But the morning of the move, Jason at the main office called me to say one of the movers, “a great guy,” had a family emergency and couldn’t make it. At least Jason reduced the labor rate from $179/hr to $159/hr.

When the 3 movers arrived, they promptly started grumbling about the 4th guy, who they said partied so hard the night before, and got so drunk, that he didn’t show up for work. The remaining 3 guys grumbled about having to work harder to make up for the missing 4th man; also, I had to take the place of the missing 4th man in moving a couple big pieces. UGLY: The quote I was given was based around the main cost, the labor rate. It also cited various added costs: 1 hour travel charge, 12% fuel surcharge, $100 extra charge for the gun safe, packing materials charge “based on usage” (unspecified basis).

All the specified charges were acceptable to me, leading me to expect $800 - $1,000 total. But when we arrived at the storage unit, the foreman showed me the charge: $1,598, including $610 for packing materials (paper pads, shrink wrap and packing tape). I immediately challenged the packing materials charge as outrageous, so the foreman phoned Jason the manager for me. When I complained to Jason, he kept rambling about how careful they are about using padding, because they are professionals and wanted to protect my furniture.

But he never explained why TWO packs of paper pads cost ~$600. After my continued complaints, Jason reduced the packing materials charge by $46, to $564 (for two packs of paper pads, shrink wrap and a few rolls of packing tape). Instead of $800-1,000, the total cost of my move was $1,465 … plus tips for the 3 workers. Now I’m having to spend my personal time writing bad reviews and filing a complaint with the Attorney General’s office.

BOTTOM LINE: I will NOT be a repeat customer of All My Sons Moving & Storage. Ever.

Product or Service Mentioned: All My Sons Moving And Storage Local Moving Service.

Reason of review: Pricing issue.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I liked: Crew of workers.

I didn't like: Dishonest price quotes and exhorbitant hidden fees.

• Exhorbitant Hidden Fees